Wild Ridge Plants is a native plant nursery located in Warren County, New Jersey. We offer stewardship consulting services and educational programs about native plants. We grow local-ecotype native plants for ecological restoration, landscape design, edible gardens, permaculture, and herbalism. Click for our Plant Catalog and here for our Current Availability List.
Native plants — the wildflowers, trees, and shrubs that are interlinked with the soils, climate, water, and wildlife of our region. They are our plants. Together with wild plants, we experience the same growing conditions. We tap into the same water sources. We rely on the same ground for footing. We feel the same elements. Wild plants belong all around us.
Provenance & Propagation
Our plants are nursery-propagated on our farm from local eco-type seeds. We hand-collect seed from wild populations primarily in New Jersey, southern New York state, and eastern Pennsylvania. We believe plants of local provenance are best suited for restorations and gardens.
We use chemical-free practices to grow our plants. Our container plants are grown in a certified organic, peat-free potting mix. We use only organic fertilizers and water-conserving practices.
Custom Growing Services & Seed Bank Assays
Wild Ridge Plants offers custom grow outs and seed bank assays by arrangement. Email us (info @ wildridgeplants.com) to discuss your project.
Purchasing Our Plants
Our nursery offers wholesale to qualified customers and retail sales to individuals.
Wholesale pricing is available to qualified resellers, businesses and non-profit organizations, with a minimum first order of $300. Wholesale orders may be picked up at our location by arrangement. Delivery is available on wholesale orders; $100 base fee plus mileage.
Retail customers can purchase plants in several ways:
- Visit our nursery by appointment — you’ll receive one-on-one time and an opportunity to see our native plant demonstration gardens.
- Seasonal market, event, or native plant sale. Check our events page for listings.
- Purchase from a local seller of our plants. Many non-profits have spring native plant sale fundraisers and carry our plants. Ask us where! During the growing season, a selection of our plants is also available retail at the Whole Earth Center in Princeton, NJ. Contact them to confirm availability.
This is both our home and farm, so be in touch for directions. To get a sense of where are, look up Pohatcong, NJ 08865. We are 10 minutes from I-78 or five minutes from route 519.
To set up an appointment, contact Rachel at rachel @ wildridgeplants.com.
While you’re visiting, consider making a day trip of it. There are some fantastic natural areas nearby. We especially recommend:
- Musconetcong Gorge Reservation. Five minutes away from Wild Ridge Farm is one of the finest basic-mesic forests in the state, with incredible woodland herb diversity and a thick shrub understory. Several glorious ravines hold rocky streams lined with boulders and wildflowers.
- Jenny Jump State Forest. Farther afield (about 40 minutes). The Summit Trail in both scenic and botanically distinctive. There are some great open glade species here, as well as many uncommon woodlanders.
For a more urban experience, Easton, PA has a terrific Farmer’s Market as well as some interesting restaurants, museums, and artisanal shops.
For more places, visit National Geographic’s tourism guide for the Delaware River area.